In the study of numerology, the 9 single-digit numbers from 1 to 9 form the primary “elements” of the Universe. Of these, the meaning of the number 1 in numerology is among the most important and profound.
1 is the most primary of all the single-digit numbers. It signifies all the raw power of universal truth. It is the singularity. It is the genesis of all things, and a primary building-block of the Universe.
The number 1 is both simple and complex. It occupies a special, singular place in numerology —and can mean different things depending on where it appears. In nature, 1 is all around us. During an average day it will appear both powerfully and subtly in thousands of places. In a name numerology reading, it is a number which demands attention, and often influences or overshadows neighboring numbers with its strength.
1 is the most primary of all the single-digit numbers. It signifies all the raw power of universal truth. It is the singularity. It is the genesis of all things.
Understanding how the number 1 relates to people, places, situations and the Universe at large is core to the study of numerology.
In this article we’ll take a deep-dive into the spiritual significance of core numbers, and reveal the multiple dimensions that exist deep within the number 1. Let’s get started.
Does the number one show up in your numerology reading? Try a free numerology reading now and find out →
Traits of the number 1 in numerology
The four primary traits associated with the number 1 in numerology are:
- Independence: The number 1 is steadfastly independent. Exhibiting traits of self-sufficiency and self-reliance, the number 1 is complete unto itself. In a numerology reading it’s often associated with a self-starter, or someone who is capable of shouldering tasks on their own, without assistance. The independence of the number 1 has an explorational quality to it as well: Because 1 stands so well on its own, it can also venture forth on its own.
- Innovation: Part of the number 1’s independence, is an ability to blaze new trails and come up with new ideas. What has come before is often irrelevant. The number 1 is original and self-determined. If there are no pre-existing options, 1 creates its own options. It is always novel and inventive, and often surprises with new solutions to old problems. Because the number 1 is self-determined, it may appear to be constantly on the move — always pushing forward in the search for new territory, new ideas and new conquests.
- Focus: The number 1 is the singularity of the numerology universe. It is pure focus, reduced to a single point. This intense focus means the number 1 can overcome oppositions and challenges through pure determination and concentration. When innovative solutions fail, 1 applies a laser-like intensity and resolve to get past obstacles. Often when something looks impossible, the appearance of a number 1 indicates that possibilities may yet exist — either through innovation or raw focus of willpower.
- Toughness: The number 1 cannot be subdivided. It’s the “basic particle” of all other numbers. That indivisible toughness makes 1 a rugged number that can make it through thick and thin. It can exist in nearly any environment or any
Weaknesses of the number 1 in numerology
After reading the positive traits above, it would be easy to start thinking the number 1 is the superstar of the numerological universe. The truth is, all that singular one-ness, comes with some downsides. Here are the weaknesses of the number 1:
- Risk taking: Those positive qualities of “independence”, “intense focus” and “exploration” can lead “1” into a risky situations. Feeling invincible can be a powerful mindset. On the other hand, it can be a double-edged sword. That go-getter attitude and laser focus can put 1 in situations that are high-risk. Likewise, those “creative solutions” that nobody else has ever tried before? There might be a reason nobody does them — the downsides might outweigh the upsides.
- Overbearing: Because 1 is so capable and independent, the number can also exist in its own bubble which doesn’t consider surrounding facts and feelings. That do-first, ask permission-later kind of attitude may make a great leader, but it might also be a little bit much. Cooperation is not the strong point of 1, nor is discussion. The appearance of a 1 in a numerology reading may be powerful, but the impact of that power should be considered. 1 can easily cause plenty of bruises and injuries as it moves forever forwards.
- Self-doubt: It’s easy to think of 1 as always knowing exactly what to do. The confidence, the self-sufficiency, the focus — it sure looks like 1 knows exactly what to do at every turn. The truth is though, that 1 can be crippled with self doubt at times. That self doubt is usually hidden deep within that smooth exterior of confidence and invulnerability, but the truth is that self doubt can lurk beneath the surface and crop up at unexpected times.
- Isolation: The flip-side of independence and self-reliance is often a danger of being disconnected and isolated. The truth is that 1 can exist in a universe by itself quite well. But that doesn’t mean it should. It’s not uncommon for 1 to detach from the rest of the universe — sometimes for too long.
How does the numerology number 1 apply to you?
But how do these personality traits apply to you? For that we’ll need to examine the core numbers:
- Life Path Number
- Destiny Number
- Soul Urge Number
- Inner Dream Number
The Life Path number 1 in numerology
The Life Path number in numerology is one of the most important parts of a numerology chart, and forms one of the most vital pieces of a persons numerological “DNA”. The Life Path number reveals personality traits and aspects of your character.
Are you a Life Path number 1? Try a free instant numerology reading and find your Life Path number now →
A Life Path is derived from your date of birth, including your birth year. While horoscopes care only about the date of the year, a Life Path number takes into account the year of your birth date as well.
A person born with a Life Path 1 is a natural leader. They have an aura of independence, self-reliance and confidence. They are natural risk-takers, and are not afraid to blaze new trails as they search for new solutions and new experiences.
When faced with problems and obstacles in life, the Life Path 1 will either come up with creative approaches to get around the problem, or they’ll focus on the issue with extreme determination and resolve until the problem is solved. As such, Life Path 1’s have strong leadership qualities and a mindset to be entrepreneurs or successful self-employed people.
Are there downsides to the Life Path number 1 personality?
When it comes to the personal lives of those born under a numerological Life Path 1, all that independence and self-competence can cut both ways: Relationships are typically not at the top of the list for these independent self-starters. They’re comfortable in their own skin, and genuinely like being alone for long stretches of time. In some Life Path 1’s, this can sometimes lead to isolation and “too much alone-time”.
Likewise, the fierce independence of the those born under a Life Path 1 can mean that they unintentionally tread on the feelings and emotions of those around them. They can become so focused and preoccupied with their own mission, that they forget to consider the emotions and ambitions of those around them. Their strong personality and leadership skills can sometimes come off as self centeredness.
Lastly, the Life Path 1 can sometimes become riddled with self-doubt. All that determination, focus, ambition, self-confidence and capacity can sometimes give way to crushing moments of self-questioning and uncertainty. While these moments typically pass, they are core to the character type of the Life Path 1.
The Life Path number 1 and marriage compatibility
The Life Path number 1 indicates a personality type filled with inner drive and focus. They are filled with self-confidence, ambition and forward energy. Needless to say, driven people can be a lot to deal with in a relationship, and it takes a special kind of person to augment, love, and (at times) tolerate those born under a Life Path 1.
Generally speaking, a compatible personality type is not another number one, but there are exceptions to that rule. Two Life Path number 1’s in a relationship can often pull in different directions, and step on each other’s toes. However, if you can both manage to align your interests and your goals, this coupling can be extremely powerful and successful. Needless to say, that’s often easier said than done.
The Destiny number 1 in numerology
The Destiny number in numerology (Also called the “numerology Expression number“) is another extremely important part of a numerology reading. Unlike the Life Path number which is calculated based upon your date of birth, the Destiny number is calculated based on your name.
Are you a Destiny number 1? Try a free instant numerology reading and find your Destiny number now →
Our names have powerful influences throughout our lives. They resonate with strong linguistic and cultural overtones, and the name we are given can have profound subconscious influences not only on ourselves, but on the people around us who use our name and react to it in their own unique ways.
Unlike the Life Path number which describes aspects of our personality, the Destiny number guides us and gives insights into our ultimate destination, and the decisions we make.
The number 1 and career
The Destiny number 1 typically indicates a high level of career performance. It is not unusual for those with a Destiny Number 1 to be CEO’s or occupy other top positions. Alternatively, they may decide to “go it alone” and excel in their own companies, businesses and start-ups.
The number 1 in marriage and relationships
A Destiny number of 1 can go both ways in marriage and relationships. On the one hand, the importance of career for Destiny number 1’s can take its toll on relationships, and make marriage seem like an afterthought at times. On the other hand, a Destiny number 1 generally indicates a strong commitment to relationships.
If that seems like a bit of a contradiction, you’re not wrong. A Destiny number 1 can be both fiercely loyal and protective of their relationship and preoccupied with work and other goals at the same time. They’re not the warm-cuddly sort very often, but they are dedicated.
The number 1 and health
A Destiny number of 1 is very often an indication of excellent physical health and a lifelong dedication towards personal fitness. It’s not uncommon to find professional athletes with a Destiny Number of 1.
The Soul Urge number 1 in numerology
The Soul Urge number is a somewhat less influential number than the Life Path and Destiny numbers, but it forms a consistent undercurrent to our lives. It indicates our true desire — or the things that bring us inner happiness. The Soul Urge number doesn’t form a personality type, but it does represent a type of drive that never leaves us.
The Soul Urge numerology number 1 is indicative of a person who truly likes to win. Winning may or may not be something that they’re constantly trying to do, but it is something that truly brings a sense of happiness and self worth.
Are you a Soul Urge number 1? Try a free instant numerology reading and find your Soul Urge number now →
Having a Soul Urge numerology number of 1 often indicates someone who enjoys some form of competition. It can also indicate someone in a competitive field who truly enjoys that aspect of their job.
The Soul Urge number 1 in numerology can at times indicate a negative trait when it comes to arguments and discussions — suggesting a personality type that has a hard time stepping back or admitting defeat.
The Inner Dream numerology number 1
The Inner Dream number is considered the least important of all the numerological numbers. It’s the number that represents subconscious desires. These “quieter” desires can often sit dormant for weeks, months or years, but rise to the surface at certain times. The Inner Dream number is at best an “occasional influence”.
An Inner Dream number of 1 is indicative of an inner longing to win and to accomplish. It may not be the overriding personality type (Life Path) or Destiny number, but it’s there underneath the surface.
Are you a Inner Dream number 1? Try a free instant numerology reading and find your Inner Dream number now →
Typically this longing will rise infrequently, but when it does it can be powerful and overwhelming. Those with an Inner Dream of 1 can be the “dark horse” in a competition. They may not seem like they want to win very badly — until they do!
Sometimes the Inner Dream number 1 indicates a passion to win that emerges much later in life. A person may seem content in their life position or with a certain level of accomplishment until something ignites that passion and awakens a fierce competitor.
Numerology isn’t just about names
Remember, numerological reduction can be used to gain insights into any person, place or thing. While most people’s first exposure to numerology is through analyzing their own first and last names, keep in mind that any place name can also be reduced to a root number.
For example, the coastal city of Wilmington, NC reduces to the powerful number 1. That numerological influence extends not only to residents but those who work in the city, or may just be passing through.